Thanks theophile
How high would you run the 288's in that horn?
atilsley,
I'm looking at the Azura AH 425 for mating with a pair of Altec 288-8Ks.There is a graph on the Azura website showing decent response down to 400Hz.
http://www.azurahorn.com/JA6681B%20o...%20%282%29.pdf
Just offering this as another factor for consideration.![]()
Turntable : Yamaha GT 2000 - Cartridge : Soundsmith The Voice Ebony - Phono Stage : Moon LP5.3 - Preamp : Transcendent Sound Grounded Grid - Speakers : KRK Expose E8B.
Thanks theophile
How high would you run the 288's in that horn?
Around 5Khz or so.Then cross to a smaller compression driver like the GPA 902(which I also have).Please remember that I am relatively a bumbling novice(with an active crossover,is there anything more dangerous?).If I have given you poor advice,I would hope that the informed on the board will kick my arse.
That's what I like about the US censorship software programs;When you spell arse it doesn't delete it.Arse.Arse Arse.
Immature ain't I? :nosepicker:
Turntable : Yamaha GT 2000 - Cartridge : Soundsmith The Voice Ebony - Phono Stage : Moon LP5.3 - Preamp : Transcendent Sound Grounded Grid - Speakers : KRK Expose E8B.
Theophile, thanks.
You've helped me firm up in my mind that the two-inch format is the way to go for the 500-5,000 range, then use something else for HF.
That being the case, would the 902 act as a very good mid-high frequency driver vs, say, a dedicated tweeter horn, eg Beyma cp25 (2.5k-20,000Hz), or JBL copy Beyma CP21 (3.5k - 20,000hz)
I'd love to go with the Altec 390 (500hz-5,000), then the 902 (5,000-18,000 say).
Andrew
I think the 902 would be a great dedicated HF driver, but I think you'd need to use something like an 811 to achieve a better sound than with , say, a 2404 or a slot.
In other words, I think if you used the 902 on a very small horn you'd not be getting the full benefit of the 902 driver & would be better off using the JBL's.
From experience, I wouldn't use the Beyma copy of the JBL slot. I tried one & thought it was just terrible.
I've had great results with the 2404 & thought it was better than the JBL slot. Asmoother top end with less sizzle, but still great extension & airiness.
J, thanks.
To qualify -
I'm 'only' wanting to use new components...as I'm keen to try and develop a commercial product...hence the continual reference to GPA.
Can you kindly comment on the idea of the 390 GPA driver for 500-7000 range, then the 902 operating above...? (I note your comment already re the 902....but what about when paired with a 2-inch driver for the lower range....aka Avantgarde).
Andrew
It's a decent super tweeter by today's standards when terminated with a matching conic profile, but as I previously noted, its diaphragm and throat are way too large for a high SQ ~5-20 kHz BW. For this we need a ~3/16" dia. throat and proportionately sized diaphragm/VC. Since the ST horn will only need to be around 2.7" including the driver's stub, significant delay will be required.
GM
Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.
I should say here that I also see the need for another driver to take-over from the 902 at about 12khz.
Ribbon?I'd love to hear the Pioneer beryllium ribbon supertweeter.
I'm slowly assembling the drivers and horns.No hurry.Nothing to prove(Some wank to be found in my posts.No data however).
Turntable : Yamaha GT 2000 - Cartridge : Soundsmith The Voice Ebony - Phono Stage : Moon LP5.3 - Preamp : Transcendent Sound Grounded Grid - Speakers : KRK Expose E8B.
Andrew,
I think the 902 paired with the 390 would be a good combo, but I think your choices of horn for the 902 will be the limiting factor here. It would be much simpler to use the Beyma "baby cheeks" tweeter and very little, if any, loss of performance. Easier to build into the cabinets & much better aesthetically. I recommend the Beyma driver only because you want to use new components.....personally I would go with the JBL 2404....much better quality of sound.
Bookmarks